Nigeria op takes out Boko Haram terrorists

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan.
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan.

Originally published in CBN News

Nigeria has dealt a major blow to the terrorist group Boko Haram.

The Defense Ministry says it recently killed hundreds of the Islamic insurgents in the country’s northeast.

The operation prompted several hundred more to surrender in Nigeria and nearby Cameroon.

“Boko Haram has perpetrated more heinous, barbaric acts than any other known terrorist group,” Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan said.

Nigerian officials also say they killed the man who was posing as Boko Haram’s leader, the man seen on video taunting the West over the capture of almost 300 Nigerian schoolgirls.

“In the course of those encounters, one Mohammed Bashir, who has been acting or posing on videos as the deceased Abubakar Shekau, the eccentric character known as leader of the group, died,” the Defense Ministry said in a statement.

Authorities say he was a double for the group’s leader, who reportedly was killed last year.

36 killed in Mainok
Meanwhile, Open Doors SA reports that a Boko Haram attack on the north-eastern town of Mainok on Friday, September 19, continued into Saturday and killed at least 36 people. It appears that the attackers stormed the market around 13:30 shooting at traders. Those not shot dead at the market were killed by stray bullets or by vehicles as they tried to flee across the highway. The military say they killed at least 48 insurgents fleeing the town.

Earlier the week, on Thursday, 18 September, Boko Haram attacked the Federal College of Education in Kano. At least 15 people died in this attack. Witnesses said the attackers stormed the college while exchanging fire with police officers posted outside the grounds. There was at least one suicide bomber among the group whose explosives went off when police shot him. The explosion caused the ceiling in one of the buildings to collapse. Some of the attackers entered a lecture hall and opened fire on the students.

The bishops of Nigeria called on the government of Nigeria in a statement on Sunday to do more to protect lives and properties. “As Nigeria tragically bleeds and burns, we Bishops are really alarmed at the scale of human and material destruction, and the disruption of village and community life with increased levels of hatred and potentials for more conflicts in the nation. 

“In the face of this Boko Haram group and other criminal militias arming themselves beyond our legitimate government and brazenly killing innocent, defenceless citizens, our government must do more than it is currently doing to safeguard our lives and defend our nation,” the bishops said.

Comments are closed.